Mini Grants are Mighty
McMinnville Education Foundation offers mini grants to McMinnville School District teachers in order to foster and support their creative and innovative ideas that will our students’ education.
Teachers may apply for a McMinnville Education Foundation mini-grant of up to $1,000.
Since the year 2000, The McMinnville Education Foundation has awarded 640 mini-grants for over $570,000.
Mini Grants Often Become Educational Programs
Our mini grants reach beyond individual classrooms! Often, a teacher will pilot a program in their classroom using a Mini Grant, and then it becomes established through the School District. Two such programs are:
Mini Grants Awarded by Year
Mini-grants were awarded for these programs at these three levels:
- Creating Art Opportunities – field trip exploring art colleges and careers
- Print Shop – for Community Transition students to develop essential work skills
- Fiction Fuels Learning – purchasing more fiction books for MHS library to meet the demand of the high school readers
- Pickleball equipment – nets and rackets to learn and understand this popular, lifetime sport
- “Dear Younger Me” – writing workshop with author/professor Hillary Homzie
- Tools of the Trade – art tools to develop lifelong learners of the arts
- Brainball – a game which merges physical activity with academic learning through play
- Digital Cameras– providing photojournalism opportunities to support non-fiction writing and design slideshows.
- Ukuleles for 3-5th grade – teaching about music, focusing attention, developing eye-hand coordination and having fun
Mini-grants were awarded for student at these three levels to:
- assemble “Grizzly Robotics Rovers”
- attend Portland Center Stage performances
- participate in a writer’s conference
- go on a salmon watch
- read books and write reviews for other students
- learn to cook
- study electrical engineering and robotics
- play BrainBall, an innovative way to combine academic learning with physical activity
- take field trips to learn about other cultures